Home  /  Current Page

Q. Can I pay at the door?

A. We reserve a seat for you at each class. We’ve also noticed that 90% of folks that say they’ll pay at the door, never show-up, and we’ve reserved a seat for them. If you’d like to pay at the door and you’re an honest person, we’d love to see you there. All you have to do is call us at 800.856.6940 or email us at and leave your name and phone number and we’ll hold a spot for you. If you don’t show up, we send Blackhawk helicopters to your house.

Q. What is included in the tuition cost for the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit course?

A.  Tuition includes fingerprinting (which is required by the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification).  Passport photos are now included, free.  Also each course participant packet contains:  course handouts of material covered plus much more (DVD), an FBI fingerprint card, a Utah Non-Resident CFP application, and a self-addressed envelope to mail in all of the paperwork. We don’t charge extra for things that you need! We don’t keep any of your confidential/personal identifying information! You should make a complete copy of the materials that you’re going to send to Utah, and while you’re there copying, make a copy of your driver’s license, and home state permit (home state permit if you have one, if not, no worries).

Q.  Is there any disqualifying criteria? 

A. Yes, there are a variety of “crimes” that can restrict you from obtaining your Utah Non-Resident CFP.  Below is the application background check. Most common deniable conviction is a DUI/DWI alcohol related offense. Most common “offense” is a DUI/DWI. That should have been settled 6 years ago from the time you take our class. IF YOU’D LIKE TO SPEAK WITH SOMEONE IN UTAH ABOUT YOUR “OFFENSE”, PLEASE CALL THEM AT (801) 965-4445 8AM-5PM MOUNTAIN TIME. THEY’RE REALLY NICE PEOPLE WHO CAN ASSIST YOU IN SOLVING ANY ISSUES THAT MAY HAVE COME UP IN YOUR PAST LIFE. Remember, the final decision is with the state of Utah.



Q. Why are some classes cheaper or more expensive than others?

A. Tuition cost is kept to a minimum, depending on the cost of the venue to our company. You’ll sometimes see that different locations have different prices for the class. Our policy is that we want to teach a lot of students at a low price, rather than a few at a high price. We have the lowest price that can be tolerated for a business. If you’re shopping for an instructor, please consider that we do this full time for a living. We are dedicated to you. We have over 10,500 students under our belts in the last 3 1/2 years alone! Watch the fine print ..some of our fellow instructors charge as much as $20-25 for a fingerprint card and some $10-15 for a passport photo. It’s important that the training you receive is accomplished by an instructor who know what they’re talking about, and has had the classroom experience to provide an engaging presentation, without pressure or intimidation.

Q.  What is the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit and why is it so popular?

A. The Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP) is one of the most sought-after permits because with it, law-abiding citizens may legally carry a firearm concealed in 30+ states.  This CFP course is also very popular due to a stress free and zero intimidation factor environment. 

Q. Are there application fees to apply for a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit?

A. Yes, there is a fee to apply for the 5 year Utah Non-Resident Firearm Permit.  The cost is only $62.00 and must be paid to the Bureau of Criminal Identification when you mail in all of your paperwork to the state of Utah. You do not have to pay these fees at class time. You have a year to send in your application.

 Q. How would you describe the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP) course?

A. The Utah CFP course is a scheduled 4 hour classroom based course taught by our NRA certified & Utah BCI certified instructors.  Course instruction includes the following introductory topics:  handgun safety rules, handgun parts and operation, ammunition, fundamentals of shooting, safe firearms handling, Utah criminal & traffic code,  U.S. federal firearms regulations, BCI administration policy, practical and legal considerations, and more.

 Q. What is included in the tuition cost for the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit course?

A.  Tuition includes fingerprinting (which is required by the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification).  Also each course participant packet contains:  course handouts of material covered, a blue FBI fingerprint card, a Utah Non-Resident CFP application, and a self-addressed envelope to mail in all of the CFP paperwork.  Oh and yes, we give you a passport photo! We have many other handouts available that are helpful, but that varies from your state of residence.  

Q.  Do I have to be a resident of Utah to obtain this permit?

A.  No.  Any U.S. citizen of any state (including the District of Columbia) may apply for a non-resident Utah Concealed Firearm Permit after taking the required course with us. We are scheduled for 4 hours but the average class is usually 3 1/2 hours. We must make sure that all material is discussed, and we do answer questions from students during the presentation.

Q. I live in Pennsylvania or Delaware, what do I need?

A. You’ll need your home state permit when you mail in the application. You have a year to obtain your home state permit. After you have your home state permit, you’ll make a copy of both sides of it and mail it in with your application to Utah. The non-resident Utah permit is valid in Delaware for all residents except Delaware residents. Delaware residents use their home state permit to carry concealed in Delaware. Pennsylvania, NJ, MD residents will be able to carry concealed in Delaware, with the Utah non-resident permit.

Q. I live in New Jersey or Maryland, what do I need?

A. You only need some form of ID to take the class and obtain your Utah non-resident concealed carry permit that is valid in 30 other states. You will be able to carry concealed in 30+ other states. This will NOT allow you to carry in NJ or MD.

 Q. In addition to taking the required Utah training, what are the application requirements for obtaining a Utah non-resident Concealed Firearm Permit?

  1. The minimum requirements for application for a Utah CFP are:
  2. Applicant must be at least 21 years of age. You can take the class if you’re 20 years +30 days old. You can’t send in your application until your 21st birthday.
  3. Proof of good character whereas the applicant;
  4. Has not been convicted of a felony;
  5. Has not been convicted of any crime of violence;
  6. Has not been convicted of any offense involving the use of alcohol;
  7. Has not been convicted of any offenses involving the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances;
  8. Has not been convicted of any offenses involving moral turpitude;
  9. Has not been convicted of any offense involving domestic violence;
  10. Has not been adjudicated by a court of a state or of the United States as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed.
  11. A criminal background check is conducted for all applicants.
  12. If you have unique or specific questions about your eligibility status, you can contact a Utah BCI Investigator at (801) 957-8620 before sending in your application to obtain Utah’s Concealed Firearm Permit.

Q.  Which states have reciprocity and recognition with Non-Resident Utah?

A. The Non-Resident Utah Concealed Firearm Permit is valid below states on map.  Because laws frequently change, it is important to keep informed and understand the applicable firearm laws of the states with which you would plan to visit.

Here is a map that shows the states honoring the Utah Non-Resident Permit.

(Be Advised – this is a third party link. This is only to give you an idea and is not the final word or law pertaining to the Utah Non-Resident Permit)

Credits to our friends at as of 06/1/18  This map is not to be used as a legal document.

 Screen Capture-25082016-093345

Q. Do you accept walk-in registrations for this course?

A.  We try to accommodate everyone. All applicants must be pre-paid, unless prior arrangements have been approved by an instructor. We provide limited seating at each venue. So, yes, you can walk in if you check with us first to see if there’s still room. We might add that it’s unfortunate to find out that 90% of people who say they’ll walk-in and pay at the door, never show up! But yes, we accept walk-ins, but best to give us a courtesy call to save a seat for you 800-856-6940.

Q. What do I need to bring with me to the class?

A. You will need to bring:

  1. Drivers License or any form of some sort of “official” ID.
  2. A positive attitude.
  3. If the hours of the class take you through lunch or dinner time, bring a snack. Always bring a drink if you’d like. Wi-Fi is touch and go in each establishment.
  4. Bring your GLASSES!  You’ll have to write for a bit and watch a projection screen or big screen TV.

Q. Do you offer this course on the road?  Could I host a class for my friends, church, or organization?

A. Absolutely!  We would be honored to have you host this classroom based course for your friends, church, or organization.  We require a minimum amount of students, based on the distance we have to travel. Our usual home style private class is 10 students. Please contact us to discuss the possibilities. For large venues, 50-75 students in not uncommon.

In addition, you may want to consider small group instruction. If you want to host a class, contact us and you will receive your class fee FREE by providing at least 10 additional people to come to the class. Now, that depends of course on the distance we have to travel. We’re not driving to Alaska to teach 10 people!

Q. I’m too scared to come by myself, can I bring a support person?

A. We encourage bringing your friend to take the class too. Bring your favorite stuffed animal if you’d like.


Thanks for requesting information on our “Permit Party/Fund Raiser” program.

The cost per person is $50 that is tuition for the class. That money goes to Lock and Load Academy, LLC and can be collected at our website via PayPal, or cash at the door.

It doesn’t cost anything for us to come to your event. (read on…)

We’ll need contact information from YOU, if you’d provide us with a phone number, we can chat. Much easier than texting and emailing each other back and forth.

Now, to make it a “fund raiser”, you can charge anything you’d want, that would be over $50, to cover some hot dogs/burgers, chips and drinks (for example) and to make a profit. YOU DON’T HAVE TO SERVE FOOD IF YOU DON’T WANT TO. For instance, we do fund raisers for lots of fire departments. We’d advertise the event at OUR expense (but it helps greatly if you do some legwork with friends etc in the community), and you’d most likely email your group, or advertise if you wanted to, but the whole idea is for YOU to not spend money, and for Lock and Load to draw people to your event. Fire Departments and organizations might advertise the class for $75which includes “a free lunch”.  We take $50, you take $25 a person, or tailor the price of the “class” to whatever you’d like. $75  works well, you’d get $25 a head. So, Lock and Load would advertise that event at $75 which includes lunch/dinner/breakfast etc.

So I’d collect $75 via PayPal, and if you wanted you could do $75 at the door. We keep meticulous track of students and we’d cut you a check for the number of students (say $25 profit each), and you’d owe me $50 for anyone at your end, and keep $25 a person. See?

We’ve had events at hunting clubs, churches, Masonic Lodges, VFW, Fire Departments etc.  We’re very good at this, from real world experience during the past 4 years.

So what else:

At the time a student mails in their application, they’ll have to submit a payment of $67 to the state of Utah with the application. They have a year to mail in their application, after the class, so there’s no big rush to get all of this money together.

The class is usually 3 to 3.5 hours, but we schedule for 4 hours. Smaller groups go faster of course.

Any date/time that we can agree on would be fine. We just have to send a few emails back and forth to each other, so don’t get frustrated. It’s easy and painless, really!

Our schedule is posted at so we’d have to work around previously scheduled classes and parties.

I assume you have a venue? A firetruck bay works fine.  If not, we can work that out too. We just need an electrical outlet. Students should have chairs and tables provided by you. I can only provide about 20 clipboards if you only have chairs. I have 10 chairs. They just have to fill out some application information for the first 20 minutes of the class. A typical class size for this type of event at a fire/ems company can being 30-50 students.

The student just needs to bring a form of ID, and if they are a PA or DE resident, they should have their home state concealed carry permit. BUT, if they DON’T, that’s not a problem. They can still take the class, get their PA or DE permit, and then submit all of that to Utah. PA permit issuance is fast, DE is a painful process.

We provide a passport photo for your ID, and we do all of the Utah fingerprinting!

All the student needs to do is for safety, copy their entire application packet, copy their home state permit if they have one, and copy their driver’s license/form of ID.  Remember: NJ and MD residents DON’T need any home state permits, Firearms ID Card, HQL or anything from their states. Just an ID.

We’ve taught over 10,500 students in the past 4 years and we do this for a living. That’s all we do. We aren’t instructors who do this for lunch money.

The class is very informative, fast paced and interesting, with a bit of humor tossed in. Not boring. What’s nice is that you’ll learn a bit about the application and implications of deadly force.

No class size is too big, but 50-75 is comfortable for us, you can have less. We have a PA sound system and voice amplification, computer, projector, screen, dye sublimation passport ID printer, camera, extension cords etc. We just need an outlet for power.

Hope to hear from you either here or by phone.  Please email us your phone number so our scheduling person (Lindsay Wilson) can chat with you and answer questions and get your organization on the schedule.